Forum > perfect pitch

hey there

i am a music college student and i am interested in developing a "good ear" !

do you know any good exercises that i can do , or , any advice that will help me on this?
March 24, 2010 | Registered Commentercostas22
Hi. There are a lot of great programs out there that can help you. There is a difference between "Perfect Pitch" and having a good ear however. Perfect pitch is NOT required to be a great musician - which is a good thing since few people have perfect pitch. Here are some things to look into:

To develop a good ear, what you need to do is practice "Ear Training" which involves the ability to recognize intervals, chords, and melodies just by listening. It is a skill that almost anyone can develop to a high degree.

One of my favorite sites if you already have some background in music is here:
www.musictheory.net

If you expand the second dropdown labeled "Trainers", you will see choices for ear training. The other dropdowns are great also, and you can learn a lot there.

I would also recommend a book with a CD - but it would help to know what instrument you play, how advanced you are, and what style of music you play so I can tailor the recommendation to your specific situation. Let me know.

As for perfect pitch, there are some commercial courses out there that promise you will become the next Mozart or Beethoven if you just buy their perfect pitch course. Perfect pitch is the ability to recognize the actual letter name of a note when you hear it. This skill is usually inborn, but it can be developed at great effort. However, this skill is of dubious value since the ability to recognize the letter names of notes is less important than recognizing intervals and chord types, which can be learned much more easily than trying to first develop "perfect pitch".

Let me know a little more information and I can help you further, and please tell me how you liked www.musictheory.net. Hopefully other forum members will also chime in with their suggestions.

Thanks!

Evan
March 24, 2010 | Registered CommenterEvan A. Copp
impressed !!!

actually, i asked a general question like this in purpose , because i didnt know what i was going to find on the other side!!!

You really know what you are talking about and i am glad i became a member

( i recently created a blog about piano , and i posted my first "article"
"mastering the piano is a lifetime commitment" .. I would love to hear your comment about it (because obviously you are a professional !!

visit http://piano-discussions.blogspot.com/ to comment

thanks!
March 29, 2010 | Registered Commentercostas22
Hi Costas, glad I could be of some help.

I checked out your blog and I like it! Keep it going as your musical journey evolves. It actually put some things in perspective for me regarding musical goals and the time it takes to get there.

I left a comment too on your blog.

Be well,

Evan
March 30, 2010 | Registered CommenterEvan A. Copp